Modern Art and Design Trends Visual Culture, Architecture, Interior, Furniture, Concept Cars and Designs.

My living room revealed!



As promised, I am going to post more pictures of my living room today! I have never published any pictures of my home previously because not a single room is completed. For some reason, I decided to decorate my living room first, perhaps it is my most favorite room. The beautiful vaulted ceilings, the charming stone fireplace and the wall of closets in the living room are some of the great features that stole my heart when I first saw this home. We bought this home after relocating from North Carolina last year. 


Being a young family and living in a household with only a single income, we do not have a generous budget to work when it comes to decorating. Therefore, every piece of furniture and accessories you see in the following pictures are purchases made from big box stores, mostly bought during sales or clearances. 


 I have always love fashion (my ambition was to be a fashion designer when I was 9) so when I saw these inexpensive illustrated fashion prints earlier this year, I had to buy them. The prints are stand-ins for now. (I have other ideas for the fireplace mantel.)


Speaking about stand-ins, the chair, the faux plant and the terracotta warrior figurine are temporary solutions in the living room as well. I am still looking for the perfect piece for this little corner. 


I know what you must be thinking. Yes, the television is huge. Our previous living room was quite spacious so we opted for a bigger tv. I love this furniture layout but in reality, the white sofa faces the tv. I hope to get another sofa or two more chairs (that faces the television) in the future so I can retain this layout.


A closer look at my coffee table vignette. I have a few accessories lying around the house so I just put this together in a jiffy to create some visual interest. What do you think?


We took some pictures of our living room before we moved in but the pictures were missing. Anyway, to give you a general idea of how our living room looks like previously, here is an image from the real estate website.


The previous owner's vision for the living room: 


Not my furniture or my entertainment unit.


When we first saw the house, there is this orange and red color blocking on the walls. The orange paint continued on both sides of the fireplace. The other walls are mostly painted in beige with the exception of an interesting mural across the tv wall. (We lost the mural wall pictures, I will update this post again once I find the pictures.) Blinds were installed in majority of the windows in this house including the sliding glass door (with vertical blinds) that leads to the outdoor deck. Of course, we have changed things since we moved in. 


My vision for the living room:


Here it is!


My design process was fairly simple. I had a general furniture layout idea in my head and then, I started to do some window shopping. When I shop, I don't always have any specific pieces in my mind, I just went with what I like and thought might look good in the space while hunting bargains along the way. The room evolves over a period of more than seven months with some older pieces from our previous home as well. Without a doubt, this room will continue to evolve and I will definitely post updates when something changes!


The resources:


Wall paint: Taupe Tone (7633) from Sherwin Williams


Fashion prints: $29.90 each from HomeGoods


Topiaries: $40 each, on sale (discontinued) from Target


Orchid: $10, on sale from Home Depot


Picture frame: $3.48, on sale from Target


White stools: $129 each, from CB2


Chair: $350 from Bombay Company (now closed)


Terracotta warrior figurine: $50, on clearance from  Bombay Company (now closed)


Faux plant: $150 from Bombay Company (now closed)


Olive green curtains: $34.95 per panel on clearance(discontinued) from Crate & Barrel


Area rug (5'x 8'): $350 (discontinued) plus shipping from CB2


Acrylic coffee table: $249 from CB2


Branch sculpture: $28 (discounted and discontinued) from Chiasso 


Yellow bowl: $2/$3 from Marshalls


Small faux plant: $5 from Marshalls


White tray: $29 from West Elm


Birdcage bank: $29.90 (discontinued) from Z Gallerie


Spotlight floor lamp: $75, on sale from Chiasso


Bird prints: $12.99 each from HomeGoods


Faux apples: $6/$7 from HomeGoods


TV/Storage combination: $349 from Ikea


White boxes: $4.99 (2 per pack) from Ikea


Red bowl: $29.99 from Ikea


Tall vase: $9.99 from Ikea


Medium vase: $7.99 from Ikea


Small vase: $4.99 from Ikea


Black crow: $12/$13(discontinued) from CB2


White faux leather sofa: Less than $900 (tax, assembly and delivery included) on sale from Chiasso


Striped decorative pillows: $15 each, on clearance (discontinued) from Z Gallerie


Now Panic And Freak Out Pillow: $18.99 from HomeGoods


Pink geometric pillow covers: Gifted (giveaway win) from Radiance From Ruins


I hope you enjoy my living room tour. My wonderful readers, thank you for all the lovely comments yesterday! You guys are simply the best!



If you are interested to know how I scored my sofa and floor lamp below regular price, read here.


If you need help decorating your home, please click here for further information regarding my design services. 


You have read this articleMy living room / Reveal with the title My living room revealed!. You can bookmark this page URL http://saranamusoga.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-living-room-revealed.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Comments "My living room revealed!"

Post a Comment